01 January, 2005

A343 Reformation I


A343 Reformation I
24x36" acrylic on acetate
private collection

The reformation sequence is my vision of entropy at work on my own paintings.

Pointillism depicts entropy very well, as the technique in itself is a scattering of bits without contour. The widely dotted bits are more amorphous, but making enough points of colour forms a new, cohesive shape.

This is analogous to the way the artist works. An artist takes an idea, pulls it apart, and reshapes it, again and again. The new 'view' is the artist's perception, a reforming of human experience, a reiteration of what has gone before. Like the stuff of the universe, a work of art is simply recombinant forms of irreducible ideas.

This is a deconstruction of a small portion of A320, Anomalous Piercings. I was interested in how far I could push the image before it was something else entirely. That is a grey area, though, that confounds me through every series. When does a new series begin, or when indeed does a painting end? Sometimes each new idea merges with or continues the old idea so seamlessly, that the transition is almost imperceptible.

Anomaly Series

No comments: